If you want to preserve the appearance and integrity of your digital piano, you have to make sure that it gets the proper care and maintenance it needs. The keyboard requires a cleanup and the amount of cleaning you need to do will be based on how frequent the instrument is used.
For instance, if you are managing a musical institute where you train students on how to play the instrument, you might need to clean the instrument for the fingerprints and dirt that would gather there every week. However, if the piano is seldom used, then you might need to maintain it every 6 months. Here are more tips on how to clean digital piano keys and maintenance.
Tips on how to clean digital piano keys
Correct maintenance is needed so your piano’s beautiful appearance and performance will remain that way. Piano keys look better and clean without oil from fingers and dust collected over time. Digital piano keys are made up of plastic material in most cases so they are not that fussy in terms of cleanup unlike ivory keys.
To clean the keys, you need warm water, several drops of gentle dishwashing detergent or soap and two clean, soft cloths. I like Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Liquid Soap because it's natural and not harsh. You only need a little bit.
As for cloths, microfiber or flannel or something soft is suitable. Cloths used for babies such as Bumkins Reusable Flannel Wipes are perfect. Baby products are usually soft and natural without chemicals.
If you prefer care products specifically made for pianos, company called Cory makes a variety of products such as Key-Brite Piano Key Cleaner. They have other piano cleaning products, Super High Gloss Piano Polish, to clean the piano itself, too. Cory products are mentioned in Yamaha website in responding to the question of how to care for the finish on the piano.
The steps are as follows:
- Create a solution using some drops of gentle dishwashing soap or detergent with the warm water in a small bowl. Mix the solution appropriately.
- You need to use a plain white cloth to clean the keys since the chemicals present on colored cloths or rags may cause damage to the keys unless it is used already and you know that color does not come out. Lightly moisten one of the rags or cloths with the solution and wring it. Mop the moist cloth lightly over every key. Make sure to slide it from back to front, not sideways. If you wipe across, each key cannot be cleaned properly and it may damage.
- Use of the other cloth to remove the remaining moisture which was left behind during the cleanup. Dry the keys well to avoid further damage on them. It is advised that you clean a few keys at a time and dry as you go.
- Apply the same method to the front of the keys, meaning the vertical side of the keys facing you.
- To clean places where the cloth cannot reach, you can also use baby buds or Q-tips on it. Dip a clean Q-tip in the solution. Clean the corners and hard to reach areas of the keys carefully using the Q-tip without letting drops of water seep between the keys.
Maintenance tips to remember
Now you are familiar on how to clean digital piano keys. To further uphold its reliability, you need to remember these important maintenance suggestions.
- To avoid dust buildup on the instrument, make sure that the piano will be covered whenever it’s not in use. For open keyboards, you can use a sizable felt strip to cover the instrument properly
- When playing or practicing on the instrument, you need to avoid bringing beverages close to the keyboard since at times, spills can happen and it may cause damage to not only the keys, but also the electric components
- Always wash your hands before playing the instrument. If the keyboard is also used by other people or children, kindly ask them to wash their hands first before using it as well
- For digital pianos that feature a cabinet design, it is recommended that you polish the cabinet every once in a while. Avoid using cleaners and polishers on it that contain silicone
- Always remember to position the instrument away from humidity, direct sunlight, hot and cold air
- When cleaning the keys of the instrument, do not use harmful or harsh chemicals on it as cleaning solutions
- Do not make use of rough scouring pads or brushes on the keys during the cleanup since they can damage them
- In case the keys are not functioning correctly, they might be stuck and you should inspect to check whether something is stuck between the keys. Prior to looking for the help of a professional, inspect the keys on your own if they stick. You may discover foreign matter on the keys, or something might be stuck between the keys. If you find such items, you can remove it with the use of tweezers
- Do not use alcohol or bleach to clean the keys
Prior to trying any cleaning method, make sure to read the user’s manual of the instrument first to check the steps which are recommended for cleanup and maintenance by its manufacturer.
Proper awareness and following the instruction provided by the manufacturer will facilitate users to maintain their beloved instrument with efficient cleaning. Take these tips by heart and they will guarantee that you benefit from playing the instrument for many years to come.
You can check examples of some of the popular and best digital pianos here.